From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:58:15 EST
In the last couple of years I have attended conf where the issues of abnormal
sucking was addressed, sorry I don't have the speakers at hand.  What has
been learned at looking at the facial muscles and how the tongue and jaw
work, pulling down on the chin will tighten the biting action not help it.
If you try this on yourself it helps to understand.  Pull on your chin and
then feel what happens in the TMJ (cheek) area.  These muscles will tighten.
The speakers recommended massaging the TMJ during feedings and between to
help address the biting.  I am not an expert on this issue and would love to
see someone on Lactnet who is help explain this.
Pulling on the chin is good for flipping out the bottom lip.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, Mass