Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:51:06 -0400
I have not been on lactnet for some weeks, but I thought I'd post this
information.  Perhaps it's already been posted and I haven't seen it, but
the Canadian Pharmacists Association has put out a position statement,
Breastfeeding and Infant Nutrition, May 26, 2001.  You can see it at their
website www.cdnpharm.ca

One of it's articles is The Canadian Pharmacists Association supports the
WHO/UNICEF International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes, 1981
and subsequent WHA resolutions.

This is a very powerful weapon, and means that now, Canadian lactnetters who
are ticked off by pharmacies posting specials on formula, or advertising
formula to the lay public, or using formula as a loss leader, or allowing
formula companies to display their postcards at pharmacies so parents can
send them in to join baby clubs etc etc, can now use this to pressure the
pharmacies to adhere to the code (as for postcards, I just take them all,
and dump them in a mail box without filling them in).

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC