From:
Karin de Graaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:47:38 +0100
Sorry for this very late reaction (I can't keep up the pace of this list!):

Heather wrote:
<<I have noticed that the pump is an article women *want* to buy when
still pregnant. Many women in the antenatal classes I do have already
bought one (or had one bought for them) and the rest are on the point
of buying one. It's a consumer piece of kit like the sleeping place
and the selection of wheeled transport, which are also bought
antenatally.
It really does not matter if they go on to use it long-term. The
purchase has been made.>>>

I learned from somebody who sells pumps and other articles that companies
and shops make much more profit from bottles than from selling pumps. Women
buy only one or a few pumps in their life, but they buy many bottles. A
company has a lot of interest in a mother sticking to a certain brand of
bottle. For Medela there is more profit to make in advertising bottles than
in advertising pumps. This explains the commercial interest Medela has in
breaking the code.

Karin de Graaf IBCLC
The Netherlands

>Then you know, those selling pumps do not need mothers to do it long
>term, they just need them to start (ie buy the pump).
>Karleen Gribble
>Australia

Precisely - and ideally, they want them to buy one antenatally, and
they want mothers to 'buy' the idea of breastfeeding made somehow
more convenient  or 'better' with the pump.

I have noticed that the pump is an article women *want* to buy when
still pregnant. Many women in the antenatal classes I do have already
bought one (or had one bought for them) and the rest are on the point
of buying one. It's a consumer piece of kit like the sleeping place
and the selection of wheeled transport, which are also bought
antenatally.

It really does not matter if they go on to use it long-term. The
purchase has been made.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK
--