From:
Jan Aken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:10:07 -0800
Jan Aken RN  IBCLC  CLNC
Dear Friends,
I recently retired from the day  job as hospital lactation consultant
but I still do consulting from home. I have a client who emailed me with
her problem. I know there can be trauma to the breast if the pumping is
vigourous as I have actually seen buising on the breast after pumping.
But my question to this group is have you heard of changes on the
"mammo" because of this kind of trauma?

The client wrote:
"I had a mammogram on Friday and they found a new cluster of
Calcifications in
the middle of the right breast, which they want to biopsy.... most of
the calcs look like calcifications from fat necrosis, which is "fat
trauma". This can happen in areas of previous biopsy or areas of trauma
like years after a car accident or having been bitten by a horse,
etc.... It wasn't until later that I realized I had had some potential
trauma to that poor little breast from all the pumping (sometimes
manually) I have done, usually on maximum speed."

So what do you think?

Jan Aken
OB Nurse/Board Certified Lactation Consultant