From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:00:37 -0700
Wow! Thanks to all of you who responded about the 5 wkr who was not yet
back to birthweight. To answer questions: no OCPs or breast surgery.
Yes, the baby was very quiet and sucking, sucking, sucking on that
pacifier. I've seen baby's latch. Rather shallow and with a rather
nonenthusiastic suck. We came up with a plan. No pacifier, spend next
few days with the baby having unlimited access to the breast utilizing
breast compression, add some pumping, and mom was interested in
Fenugreek. I tried to emphasize that unlimited breast access was the
most important. I also encouraged her to call the LC warmline at her
hospital. She has her 6 wk PP visit this week and was going to try to
have them weigh the baby there to see if she has put on more weight. Her
next appt with the ped is not until early July. She is on WIC and I
suggested she speak with someone there as well and perhaps arrange for
periodic weighings. I stressed that she should call a real LC.
Thanks again to all of who replied. It is awesome how you all can make a
difference, not only on a larger level, but also with an individual
baby.
Jennifer Williams
San Diego