From:
Star Siegfried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:33:24 -0700
Dear all,
Yes I have seen the 5 s's help many. With all due respect to Dr. Harvey I
would like to share a observation I made last year. I run weekly mom's
support groups and one mom had a problem with her baby waking himself up
all night long (about 5 months old) as soon as mom stopped the 5 s's. It
appears that the baby got so used to the swaddle for sleeping that when she
finally decided to unswaddle that baby he didn't sleep well due to  not
being used to his own body movements. It took her a month or longer to
undue this situation.
My sense is that swaddling is often good for young babies or very fussy
ones but this method don't teach normal babies how to feel their bodies.
Just some thoughts.
Star Siegfried RN,BA,IBCLC