From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:13:10 -0600
Perhaps this was normal for me but I found with both children that latch on
and those initial suckling bursts for letdown the first week were downright
toe-curling.  Someone with a lower pain threshold than I might have called
it tender.  I was fortunate to have my MIL, who nursed all seven of her
children when BF wasn't cool, validate this as she saw me cringe in PAIN!
Yes I discount the "it shouldn't hurt" approach, but not just because of my
own experience.  I see quite a few women who are doing everything right who
wait it out (with toes curled) for a week or two and it has resolved on
it's own. It's tough though to convince some because of our society's I
don't want to feel anything attitude toward birth and early motherhood.
They want a pill or a cream (as our recent discussion has pointed out) to
make it better. We'll see how it goes for me with baby number three who's
due in mid Sept.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources  http://www.childbirth.org/bbfr
Manhattan, KS  USA