From:
Michelle Kinne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:19:43 -0400
There are also other types of shields than the more common brands here in the US. They are shaped to be more accommodating and suitable for
hard to fit nipples. Kaweco is a manufacturer that comes to mind. Cathy Watson-Genna's book reviews some options and I know an IBCLC who orders these products for other IBCLCs.

Michelle H. Kinne IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

From:    Kathy Lilleskov <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Explain how nipple shields may help with large nipples

Wow...good to know about trying out nipple shields on really large nipples if
all else fails. I always assumed it wouldn't work and am thrilled to hear that
it might work sometimes. One thing I have observed with some babies is that the
bare skin of the nipple seems to set off a gag reflex that the slippery plastic
does not. Having had a son with really strange gag reflexes, never to my nipples
thank goodness, I am wondering whether this might be part of the reason why
nipple shields can help with large nipples. My son used to gag looking at a
sandwhich if the ingredients hung over the edge of the sandwich for example. I
gag if I have to hold gloves in my mouth but have no issues holding something
hard like book. What you can handle in your mouth and going back to the throat
is not only physiological but psychological as well. So that might be one piece
of the explanation. I LOVE LN....new things to try everyday!!!!!

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC