Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:05:41 -0600
Jay Gordon writes:
"There is a special place in hell reserved for doctors
who take babies off the breast for illogical and medically insupportable
reasons."

Such as an attempt that I heard about today.  Mom of a 7 months old called
me for help in increasing her milk supply.  I didn't know her but I
recommended that she get the herbal galactagogue that I use.

After we were finished with the instructions for use, we chatted a bit and
she told me that several people were urging her to wean the baby.  I asked
who and why. She said one was her pediatrician. The ped told her that since
she is Afro-American her breastmilk is lacking vitamin D and she should
wean him to formula.  She asked if she couldn't just give the baby vit D
and continue breastfeeding. The ped said yes. [What if Mom hadn't been that
assertive?]

The mom asked me about her milk's not being sufficient for her baby.  I
explained about the dark skin, living in Wisconsin, too little time in the
sun, etc.  She was glad to hear the reason for the possible problem for her
baby and said that she does take prenatal vitamins with D. We talked about
next spring and summer making sure that both she and her baby get plenty of
sunlight. [And even now if we can ever dig ourselves out of the snow]

I wish that I thought that she was the only ped in the area who is giving
such advice.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]