From:
Carolyn Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:36:50 -0500
-- [ From: Carolyn Brown * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I can't speak for the other states, or the rest of the world, but in Iowa,
an employer is not required to give any breaks to any employee.  Many give
some breaks, of course, but there is no legal requirement to do so.  I have
heard several women say that they do not get mid-morning or afternoon breaks
, and occasionally hear women claim that they frequently get no lunch break.
 The worst professions for this seem to be teaching and health care (nurses
and nurses aides).  I am afraid the Maloney bill (to give mothers unpaid
break time to express milk) will not sell very well here.

all the best,
Carolyn Brown, La Leche League Leader, Cedar Falls, Iowa
surviving mothering three children :-)