From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 1996 15:05:15 -0400
Hi Lactnetters!

A recent post said that lactoferrine and iron decrease with time in
breastmilk. I donot have my books with me (they are at my office in Quebec
city), but I seem to remember that lactoferrine decreases progressively from
600mg per 100ml in colostrum to 180mg per 100ml at 5 months and then remains
STABLE. As for iron I do not beleive it decreases but I will have to check.

Actually, it is extremely rare that babies suffer from anemia, even after
being exclusively breatsfed for nine months and more...They actually absorbe
iron better if nothing else is introduced. I think we can easily find many
stories of babies being successfully breastfed without supplements and no
anemia right here are Lacnet. Would anyone care to comment?