From:
Michele Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:47:22 -0800
Just had to share on this one.  We have 13 grandchildren and only 5 have
been born in hospitals so family has always been very involved in caring
for mom and baby during the birth and afterwards.  Our twin grandchildren
were born in hospital without meds.  In hindsight, I let the first one get
passed around due to the focus on the 2nd baby coming.  However, when I
realized that momma's contractions had stopped I got baby right back on
her.  The hospital staff was a little freaked out by us!  After all there
were 10 of us not counting the mother and my son!  Two babies were
delivered by C-section and I was permitted in the OR along with Dad (in
fact, my husband was allowed in as well with one of them to back up our
son-in-law who doesn't handle the sight of blood).  Those babies got
skin-to-skin immediately as there was an experienced person (me) who helped
the Dads do it for their wives and babies.

My two daughters-in-law who had hospital deliveries were clear about what
they wanted and what each persons role was to be.  Both were more
uncomfortable with the hospital staff coming in and out than they were
about family members.  I do have to acknowledge we are probably an
exceptional family with 3 La Leche League Leaders and an IBCLC who also was
an childbirth educator and doula.

Perhaps the best RULE would be honored by both families/friends and
hospital staff.  Baby stays on momma in the first 36 hours except for
showers and bathroom time when the baby is on the primary caregiver of the
mother and baby on discharge.  Family and friends who don't get it and only
want time with baby will soon leave and those that do get it will be real
supporters of this couplet and will be there when she needs them to be.
Warmly,
Michele

--
*Michele L. Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA, LLLL*