From:
Nancy Rupert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 22:25:26 -0700
I have a question from a mother of two who is now expecting her third baby.

"Before Emily was born my
right side would leak bits of colostrum, but I couldn't express any from the
left.  I saw a number of LC's when Emily was a baby because she would refuse
to latch on my left side.  I tried a number of different holds, and nothing
worked.  She would buck and fight at the nipple.  When she was 3 weeks old,
I gave up all together and tried to turn that breast into a pumping breast,
while nursing her exclusively on my right side.  I rented a hospital grade
pump, and pumped at every single feeding, but I could not build that supply
up enough to even use as a supplement when we were out of the house.  I
eventually gave up on the breast and ignored it.  I could still express a
dribble until I weaned Emily from the right side though.  When I was
pregnant with Owen I thought it might be because I was right handed and more
comfortable holding Emily on the right side, but he was a very poor nurser
from that side too despite a renewed committment to finding a good position.
He did nurse from it, but only for a few minutes and most of his time he
nursed from the other side.  At some point while I was nursing him I noticed
a blemish, like a large pimple (1/4" round) on my areola about 1 cm away
from the nipple.  I determined it wasn't a pimple, but didn't know what it
was.  Thought it might be a deformed montgomery's tubercule.  Didn't pay it
much notice after that.  Can't remember exactly when (or maybe if) it went
away, but I didn't notice it again until just recently (6 months pregnant).
I can express colostrum from my right side again now, but not the left.  It
seems to get larger with stimulation (like the nipple) and it seems to be a
small bump with 4 little bumps on it.  They sort of look like miniscule
versions of the bumps on my left nipple.  They are not round like my right
nipple really--more raspberryish with bigger bumps on the right side of the
nipple.  Now that is hard to describe!  Any how.  The only other thing I can
think to say is that nursing on that side feels wierd.  Not the same as the
right side, which is really comfortable.  Not bad, but less comfortable for
sure".

Anyone have any insights into what this bump is, and how it might be
inhibiting breastfeeding on that breast?

Nancy Rupert,
Port Coquitlam LLL