From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:00:31 -0500
A question for you BF-positive docs who read & post here:

What do you suggest as ways for LCs to share information/recommendations
with MDs? I always send a report to the pertinent doctor after I've seen
his/her patient, doing all I can to keep it brief, easy to "cut to the
chase", and professional (as a nurse, I know what HCPs don't want to see in
a patient chart!). Normally, I get no response to this, so I figure "OK,
I've done my bit..." - but I feel that a professional, collegegial
relationship requires that I add my notes to the chart just as any other
consult would do, despite the lack of feedback.

My frustration comes when I am told by clients seeking my services that "Dr.
So-and-So said that the baby is allergic to my breastmilk" or "...needs to
stop BF'ing because baby's jaundiced" (with a bili of 8 or so at 4-5
days!!), or some other thing that I know is based on lack of current
information on the MD's part. (The same pieces of bad advice tend to come
from the same docs over and over again.) What do you recommend as the most
likely-to-be-effective way of sharing info with these guys? If I send
current research from medical journals, it's ignored; if I send copies of
the information I give my clients, it's ignored; if I write to them
regarding a specific issue (i.e. mom's been told to stop BF'ing while taking
a medication which is known to be perfectly compatible with BF), it's
responded to with a dismissal but no research-based countering information);
phone calls are usually not returned (although converstaions with the office
nurses or RNPs are frequently fruitful for both them and me - and hence, one
would hope, for the client). This is very frustrating, and I'm absolutely
certain it does not contribute to mutual respect between LCs and MDs, and it
certainly is not helpful to our patients.

I don't want to just gripe about this; I'm genuinely searching for effective
ways to share information - both ways, BTW. If an MD has information I
should be aware of, I would earnestly hope that s/he would share it with me.
(I swear, I'd even rather hear from an doctor that as far as he's concerned
I'm nothing but a big pain in the ass and should never bother him again!) I
know doctors' practices get overloaded with "information" and promos & all
kinds of stuff from various company reps; how do you sort out what you will
pay attention to and what you just toss aside? What do you think is the most
effective way for LCs to share information, without adding to the burden of
"stuff"?

I hope this doesn't offend. I feel safe enough with those of you on this
list to put the question to you, because I really would like to know. I
would hate to think of breastfeeding being something which doctors are
either "for" (and adequately-informed about) or "against", in which case
they are no longer receptive to information. I can't imagine a pediatrician
saying he's "against" breastfeeding, but certainly the things I've heard
from and about some individuals could not be construed as being pro-BF
information (or even accurate!). What's the inside scoop here? Inquiring
minds want to know!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC, in Ithaca NY, where we are blessed with some really
excellent pediatricians!