From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:38:06 -0500
Jennifer, I had a nursing strike with my third child when he was ten months
old. My doctor - very pro-breastfeeding - advised me not to give him any
solid foods or drinks. She felt that hunger and thirst would help to
motivate him back to the breast. I did have a copious milk supply and needed
to pump and freeze the milk but didn't give him any, nor did he get any
solids (he was not really eating solids before this anyway.)

What worked the best with him was nursing while moving. I tried it with him
in the sling without any luck, and what eventually got him nursing again was
having my husband drive us around and around in a deserted shopping mall
parking lot while I held Dan on my lap and offered to nurse. He eventually
did, and was very happy to be back at the breast.

I know that some mothers who have found co-bathing helpful have found that
it took several times before the baby nursed again. You might encourage her
to keep trying that, especially since it seemed to relax the baby.

I wonder if her milk supply is low if that was the reason for her baby's
nursing strike - that it was getting low beforehand and the baby was finding
that frustrating. Would she be interested in trying herbal supplements or
Domperidone to boost milk production as she works on getting him back to the
breast? I wonder if some painkillers for baby would help, too, given his
teething situation.

Teresa