From:
Sue LaLeike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:05:19 EST
I've recently resubscribed to this wonderful list, after having been
no-mail and then changing servers....don't now how long I'll be able to
try to keep up.......I'm already a day or two behind here!  Meanwhile, a
problem has presented itself, and of course I thought of lactnet.  I've
received quite a few responses to this query from other lists I'm on, and
almost all are in agreement about the probable sources of exposure.  Does
someone have contact info for the CDC, please, and any words of advice or
positive experience to share to help alleviate the mom's concern?  They -
and I - are very comfortable with the antibiotic treatments;  the spinal
tap is another matter.

I  received a call from a mom with a baby who has had 2 blood tests
confirming that she has a bacterial infection called pseudomonas.  The
baby is about 10 weeks old, and basically asymptomatic, running only a
very slight fever and with a dry cough. She's currently receiving IV
antibiotics and had a spinal tap Tuesday.  The info the parents have been
able to find - on their own, as the peds and hospital have been very
tight-lipped - indicates that the most likely source of infection is
either through having been exposed in a hospital nursery or by being a
burn victim.  Little K. is most definitely not a burn victim, is cared
for in her own home by a relative when mom works, and *did* spend a few
short spells in the hospital nursery during the first 48 hrs. pp.  She is
not being breastfed anymore, and indeed only got a few days worth of
breastmilk before mom got frustrated and gave up due to
mastitis....another story entirely.

        What we need now is any info at all on where the parents can get
honest information and referrals.  Is this a condition that must be
reported to health authorities?  i.e. Can they access hospital records to
find out how prevalent this is in the hospital she was born at?  This
hospital has a *terrible* reputation for peds care and other types as
well.  Is there a national clearinghouse of info?  I  tried the DB-test
search, which only turned up that goat's milk can be a source of
infection......not a possibility in this case.
My best local resource person that I would normally turn to is in the
process of moving out-of-state.  I appreciate any and all information you
can send to me.
Please respond via private e-mail (cc:the appropriate lists, if you think
others want to know what you can share)........I am in the middle of a
transistional switch to a new e-mail address, and not on these lists
very much at
the moment.  Thank you ever so much!

Sue LaLeike