From:
Nicola Aquino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 20:37:05 -0400
After the recent discussions about skin-to-skin, I thought people might like to know about a new resource for parents and practitioners.  The DVD, launched today in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada came out of research by Ann Bigelow at St. Francis Xavier University and is titled "Enhancing Baby's First Relationship".  You can watch both the version for parents and a slightly longer version for practitioners (which includes the graphs and summaries of the reasearch) and/or read a facilitator's guide at: http://www.mystfx.ca/InfantSkinToSkinContact/  There is no cost to view the videos on the website--the researchers are more interested in getting the information out there.

It has been picked up by national media, including Fredericton, New Brunswick: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Local_News/NB/ID=1540331268  It's 9 minutes in.  And the Halifax Chronicle Herald:  http://thechronicleherald.ca/Search/1190888.html  We also know it was seen in Ottawa.

The information in the videos is great.  They have an OB saying that "this only takes minor changes to our routines".  The difference in the way babies interact with their mothers in the skin-to-skin group is amazing.  And as a bonus, duration of breastfeeding was improved! My co-Leader and son, who were participants in the study, are in the practitioner video briefly.

Nicola Aquino
LLLL with LLLC-Antigonish