From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 08:47:33 -0700
Hi All,
My hubby just read a passage to me from a book he is reading by Carl Sagan.
The book is "Carl Sagan   The Demon Haunted World   Science as a Candle in
the Dark"

This chapter is about hallucinations and Carl is talking about how children
are afraid of monsters.

(pg 109)

Part of the reason that children are afraid of the dark may be that, in our
entire evolutionary history up until just a momement ago, they never slept
alone.  Instead, they nestled safely, protected by an adult--usually Mom.
In the enlightened West we stick them alone in a dark room, say goodnight,
and have difficulty understanding why they're sometimes upset.  It makes
good evolutionary sense for children to have fantasies of scary monsters.
In a world stalked by lions and hyenas, such fantasies help prevent
defensless toddlers from wandering too far from their guardians.

Just thought you'd enjoy this!
Jay
Who will have to get hubby to hurry and finish the book...I want to read it now!