From:
Tarah Colaizy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:34:59 -0400
In the original study (egg and nut allergy), the investigators did adjust
statistically for breastfeeding. I assume that they also did for the
sub-analysis here, about cow milk allergy.
Interestingly, there were 2803 kids in the study, and 93% were breastfed for
longer than a month. Only 13% were born by c/s. All I can say is wow, and
dream of similar values in the US someday.

They did find that not being breastfed for greater than one month increased
the risk of allergy to egg 1.5 fold, while C/S increased it 1.8 fold, when
statistically adjusting for many other variables. This means that even
accounting for breastfeeding, there was a 1.8 fold increase in risk for egg
allergy in C/S kids, and even accounting for C/S, there was a 1.5 fold
increase in risk for egg allergy in non-breastfed kids.

Tarah Colaizy, MD, MPH
Staff Neonatologist
University of Iowa