Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:51:35 PST
I have a question about uric acid crystals in  the diaper of a 2mth old baby. I have researched
it as far as possible in the BAB, Lawrence and Riordan & Auerbach, as well as  the Lactnet
archives, but have drawn a blank so far.

This baby, Melinda, is now 2 months old. Her mother nursed an older sibling for three years.
Melinda was diagnosed with Down Syndrome, and she was born with her stomach outside her body.
She was transfered from our local hospital to Rochester within a couple of days to correct this
situation, and she now has a colostomy bag. Her mother went with her, and she has only ever had
her mother's milk. However, she was transfered back to our local hospital after the op because
she was *not feeding well* (breastfeeding) and once there was put on ebm by tube and then
bottle, despite the mother's concerns about nipple confusion. The mother was repeatedly told
that nipple confusion was a myth, and when that proved to be untrue, that formula was *just as
good*.

Melinda was finally discharged from the hospital bottle-feeding ebm. Her mother worked with her
continuously, until finally, at 2 months of age, she got her to nurse. When she called me, she
was elated. I told her to continue pumping and to feed the ebm by cup between nursings. I asked
her to keep a very close watch on wet diapers. In fact, she has been keeping detailed records
of times of nursings, pumping (+ # of ozs pumped), wet diapers, and poops.

Everything was looking good. The baby nursed up a storm. LOTS of wet diapers - 9 or 10 in 24
hrs! Poops were fine too, 2 or 3 a day. Baby was exclusively nursing :) She is calling me every
day to share her progress.

Two days ago she mentioned, in passing (grrrrrrr!!!), that the doctor had said the crystals in
the baby's diaper were not blood, and not to worry. *WHAT crystals?*, I asked. I explained that

crystals could sometimes indicate the possibility of a low milk supply, and that I was
concerned. We went over the stats - there are lots of wet diapers, baby is stooling, baby is
often heard both swallowing and gulping milk, mother is still pumping to relieve
engorgement....this doesn't sound like dehydration. So why the crystals in the diapers?

Today I spoke to her again. There were more crystals in the diaper, and again the doctor
reassured her that everything was fine. The question remains - why?

Both the mother and I are completely snowed in, and so there is no possibility for me to see
them for the next day or so. I would welcome any suggestions you may have.
Please reply privately as well as to the list as I am waaaaaay behind as usual <G>

Many thanks,
Norma

Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel