From:
Rebecca Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:55:56 EDT
I am the lactation consultant at our rural hospital, and have seen
significant increases in the past two years in the number of c/section births as  well
as epidurals.  Now our nursing administrator is saying that epidurals  are too
'expensive' and we must look for alternatives for pain relief while in
labor.  I of course will be very happy to see our epidural rate go down,  but am
concerned about her suggestion that we trial Nitronox.  She is from  Canada, and
states that it's use for labor is quite high there, as well as in  Europe.
She also stated that there is "no effect " on the baby.
What data is out there that could help me educate myself, and then the  staff
of the effects of this type of analgesia during labor?
Thanks, and a big thanks for the on-going education this list gives  me.  I
know I would not be able to give nursing mothers the level of  breastfeeding
help they have come to expect without you all.  Becky Garcia,  RN, IBCLC in
Walla Walla Washington.