From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:47:40 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/01 7:59:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< "An example of a child with severe social phobia would be one who refused
 go to school for two weeks, said Mark Riddle of the Johns Hopkins University
 School of Medicine, one of the study's authors. A milder example, he said,
 would be a child who went to school and participated in clubs and group
 events, but with intense discomfort.
 Extreme separation anxiety disorder, he said, would be displayed in a child
 who avoided birthday parties and sleepovers. A medium-grade example would be
 children who refused to sleep in their own rooms and wanted to get into bed
 with their parents." >>

Teresa,

I second your response to the above!  I have a beautiful 17 yr old daughter
who BF til 7 yrs, family bedded until 9 or so,  was shy, had an episode of
"separation anxiety" when she had to repeat first grade (it resolved with
time and patience),  wouldn't sleep over until preteen yrs (I'm uncertain, as
it seems so insignificant now) and is the most wonderful teen anyone could
ask for who recently wrote a touching essay for school on her parents being
her heroes-guess we didn't "damage" her too much.
BTW, she plans to become a social worker and work with autistic children.

These studies are outrageous and smack of much personal and societal bias.  I
wrote an article for Mothering some years ago on separation anxiety in
infancy and young children so best of luck with yours, Teresa.  Would love to
see yours, too.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
(whose other two girls, with similar upbringing, are beautiful people, as
well!)