From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 07:58:15 +1000
The study Barbara Wilson-Clay mentions is interesting.  (Thanks for sharing.)  Certainly it applied to the women in the study, but the hormonal area is so varied, as you know.  My own personal experience is the opposite.
   I've always needed to breastfeed at frequent intervals (2 - 2.5 hourly), but I haven't lost weight.  I tended to lose weight during pregnancy, when I could eat like a horse and lose weight (speeded-up metabolism?).  During lactation, including with two boys tandem-breastfeeding at frequent intervals, I put on weight.
  During my last lactation (one baby only), I put on 8 stone (112 lbs) over the almost four years, i.e. not all at once, but I lost weight with a bad bout of influenza followed by pleuresy, regained the lot quickly, and then lost it again with a 2-day 'bug' with severe vomiting and diarrhoea (and no one to take me to the nearest dr, over an hour away).  So, what I'm saying is that I *wasn't* actually 8 stone heavier, but that my total gain was 8 stone, allowing for putting the weight back on each time I lost it.
   Isn't the human physiology fascinating?  Some general trends, and all those exceptions.
   Any replies to me privately.
         Virginia
         in Brisbnae