From:
Gwyneth Treharne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:08:12 -0500
Hello, I posting a note from my LLL Co leader (at her request) who has been
dealing with an issue in her left breast for some time now.  Any
ideas/suggestions/comments would be very much appreciated as we are at a loss.

"I first noticed uncomfortableness in my left breast around the beginning
of July.
I feel it from almost under my arm pit to my nipple.  To me it feels like a
plugged duct.  At times it feels internally warm as if it is infected.  But
no signs of this at all. I weaned my 6 year old gradually over the last
couple of months since around July.  She probably now nurses once every two
weeks for a very short time maybe 5 minutes at the most.
I have noticed this uncomfortable feeling in the past when my youngest has
decreased in nursing but this is definitely the end of nursing now and the
longest feeling of uncomfortableness.
I have nursed nonstop for 13 almost 14 years in May/08 (tandem nursing at
its best!).  We have 4 children.
I had an ultrasound done in August. They suggested I should have a
mammogram done as I might have a small cyst.
I had a thermography done in the fall sometime and they felt nothing was
really wrong but should have a mammogram done.
In December I had a mammogram and everything was fine.
A naturalpathic doctor had me taking phydolaccta (sp?) and apply a breast
oil topically but didn't see a vast improvement.  She also recommended
castor oil packs at night with a hot water bottle on the breast.  This
seemed to make me feel better for awhile.  After Christmas I stopped
because I came down with a nasty cold/flu.  I did not resume treatment
after and I became more aware of my symptoms again as time went on.
Today, February 8/08 the symptoms are driving me crazy yet again.  I never
have shooting pains just vague burning uncomfortable feeling consistently
in the left breast only.  I have had one small spot on the nipple that I
have been able to push out dried up milk from for at least 1 and 1/2 years.
but no soreness accompaning this.
Sometimes I wonder if it is phantom plugged duct pain...is there such a
thing?!!
(like when a foot or leg has been removed?) only my breast is still there
just not operating like it used to for 13 years!
I still take pydolaccta(sp?) when I feel I need to.
I am not on any other medication but do have a very sore left shoulder when
pushed on the bone.  A personal friend/physiotherapist is wondering if I
have a partial separated shoulder.  I did ask if it was possible that it is
radiating from that injury.  She is not sure.  When I roll over in bed and
the breast tissue shifts I feel a bit of pain such as muscle pain but
nothing overwhelming at all.  Just a consistent awareness of it."

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!

Gwyn Treharne, IBCLC, LLL, RN
www.simplythebreast.ca