Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:50:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Hear hear!   I have had the privilege of working with several IBCLC-MD's in my years in the profession.  These are KNOWLEDGEABLE, committed individuals.  I have already had my say on this once, briefly, but when folks are honestly and sincerely committed to helping breastfeeding mothers succeed, it behooves us all to acknowledge that!   I personally know many pediatricians who have given up their lunch in order to help a mom in their office.  I know pediatricians that have spent the dollars to put a hospital grade pump in their office - and then had it stolen for their trouble!  Even pediatricians that are not supportive of breastfeeding are often those who have had poor experiences and are not basically ill-willed people!  Let's be kind to one another!

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alla Gordina MD, IBCLC, FAAP

Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 6:20 AM

Subject: Breastfeeding Medicine and ABM protocols

(Taking a deep breath before starting)

First and foremost, I would say that of all places all over the intrenet I would expect the LactNet to be civilized and professional. The type of irresponsible intolerant bushing that we all became witnesses recently is inappropriate and should not have place on such a respectable (or appearing as such?!) forum. At least it had to be stopped by the list mothers long time ago.

Said that -

2. Medicine is an evolving art of science and to say that breastfeeding medicine does not have its own place and need means to forget the whole history of medicine. And we all know what happens when somebody forgets the history (or re-writes such... ) A lot of medical specialties did evolve from the nursing fields (OB and neonatology do come to mind).

3. Breastfeeding Medicine is one of such specialties, and one can not forget the extrmely important input that physicians did bring into the art and science of breastfeeding (Dr. Ruth Lawrence, Dr. Jack Newman and many-many others) 4(a). - ABM protocols are not written by the Board, but by the experts in the field 4(b). - ABM protocols are written using the wealth of published evidence based information regardless if that was written by nurses, lactation consultants or physicians 4(c). - ABM protocols always have the list of authors at the end and there is a pretty high probability that those authors will be involved in the next revision, as 4(d). - ABM protocols are mandated to be reviewed every 5 years and 4(e). - of all professional medical associations that I know, ABM is the best in keeping this 5 year rule pretty strict.

Therefore,

rather then unprofessionally questioning the feasibility of breastfeeding medicine as a distinct medical specialty, rather then disrespectfully bushing the bylaws of a well respected international professional organization may be it would be more productive to work RESPECTFULLY and COLLEGIALITY with the ABM in general and authors of protocol?! One don't need to be on the board to do so.

Thus I do strongly believe that lactation consultants involved in that particular "discussion" (as biased attacks can not be called a

discussion) do owe an apology to physicians practicing breastfeeding medicine.

And with the said apologies let's return to the real purpose of this list - respectful and collegial discussions of the needs of the dyads.

Peace,

Alla

--

Alla Gordina, MD, IBCLC, FAAP

General Pediatrics

Breastfeeding Medicine

Adoption and Foster Care Medicine

Global Pediatrics and Family Medicine

NJ Breastfeeding Medicine Education Initiative

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2