From:
john nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:25:12 +1200
Hi

What causes lumpy breasts in some lactating women and not in others? Is it
an adverse reaction to the hormones ? What are the lumps?

The Mother I am thinking about had very tight  breasts within  8 hrs of
delivery,  and  is now experiencing very "lumpy breasts", that are only
slightly  softening with  breastfeeding, massage, she is using cabbage
leaves between feeds, she has no history of fibrocytic  disease. Day 5 she
is now  able to hand express .5 ml of colostrum after feeds. I have advised
using reverse pressure softening, but her breasts are still lumpy.

I would be grateful for any advice that I can pass on to this Mum

Kind Regards

June Nicholls

IBCLC/MIDWIFE