From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:12:09 -0800
Another value to reading/hearing about these home remedies is the WAY we can address them when a mom mentions them to us...

If we have never heard about it, it's hard to keep a straight face - sometimes a surprised look can then initiate a lack of sharing about other information.

But, if a mom tells us that she is using cabbage, or potato on her swollen breasts - we can, thanks to all your sharing, say something like: "yes, I've heard about this" and "how do you feel this is working?" and later on: "how about if you continue this and also try..."

After all - is there HARM in using any of these?

...and would there be harm to our relationship if we diminish a treatment that they feel is working?

So when a mom comes to me with low milk supply and is using whatever traditional foods/drinks her culture promotes (and they are not alcohol or drug based)...  We talk about what ELSE she can do... positioning, frequency, etc.

I am not conducting a scientific experiment that requires that only ONE treatment be used in order to avoid confounding factors!

In my opinion, PICK YOUR BATTLES!  If a mother feels she is getting comfort from a food or something applied to her body - and it causes no harm...I just document it so I know this information for the next visit - or the next mother I see!

...and perhaps later on there may be a study that reports that this DOES work - who knows?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA