Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:12:09 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Another value to reading/hearing about these home remedies is the WAY we can address them when a mom mentions them to us...

If we have never heard about it, it's hard to keep a straight face - sometimes a surprised look can then initiate a lack of sharing about other information.

But, if a mom tells us that she is using cabbage, or potato on her swollen breasts - we can, thanks to all your sharing, say something like: "yes, I've heard about this" and "how do you feel this is working?" and later on: "how about if you continue this and also try..."

After all - is there HARM in using any of these?  

...and would there be harm to our relationship if we diminish a treatment that they feel is working?

So when a mom comes to me with low milk supply and is using whatever traditional foods/drinks her culture promotes (and they are not alcohol or drug based)...  We talk about what ELSE she can do... positioning, frequency, etc.  

I am not conducting a scientific experiment that requires that only ONE treatment be used in order to avoid confounding factors!  

In my opinion, PICK YOUR BATTLES!  If a mother feels she is getting comfort from a food or something applied to her body - and it causes no harm...I just document it so I know this information for the next visit - or the next mother I see!  

...and perhaps later on there may be a study that reports that this DOES work - who knows?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2