From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:58:14 -0500
I did not see anyone answer this one and since it was posted on 3/18 I
believe, I did not save the original poster's address. The poster wondered
if a baby breathing 80-100x per minute could/should breastfeed. The baby was
being treated for sepsis and the docs did not want baby to bottlefeed. Good.
I have seen tachypneic babies that were prohibited from bf but were allowed
to bottle feed. Go figure. I would recommend gavage feeding and encourage
skin to skin kangaroo care as much as possible and if baby decides to bf
then observe and see how he does. I have observed many, many times that
babies who are having any respiratory difficulties like this will not bf but
will just sit at the breast, not having the energy to accomplish feeding.
This will come in time if mom expresses and keeps baby close if able. Some
babies do settle down into a more physiologic pattern and breathe easier
when bf, so it is up to the baby if he latches and settles, but I think
unlikely. Be patient with the process. It will happen.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA