From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:41:00 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/0 1:56:40 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I need to vent. I spoke with a mom today (on the phone, I hate the phone)
and her story has me ranting and raving. A 2 month old baby. 9 lbs 12 oz at
birth, 12 lbs at 1 month. For the last week this normally happy baby has
been not wanting to eat. (Mom has not been pumpsing or feeding formula). He
hasn't stooled for 10 days. Mom is worried so off to the family practice
doctor. Ok.>>

Janet,
So, she has not fed the baby at all for a week? Or do you mean he has not fed
enough, fussy and so on?

<<Weight today is 12 lbs 4 oz but on a different scale. Doctor is very
concerned that the baby has not stooled in 10 days and calls a ped who also
is very concerned! The mom, who has BF 3 other children, tells doc that she
thinks this is normal. He strongly disagrees and tells her that she and
anyone else who says this is wrong. And he makes an appointment with a
pediatric surgeon to rule out hirsprungs!>>

So, the doc doesn't think the baby just needs to eat?

<<Now am I crazy or is this doc over-reacting? Here is my guess: The mom had
just gotten over the stomach flu- so baby was not feeling well. The baby
has not been feeding and is dehydrated- so he has lost a lot of weight. The
baby is now fussy at the breast because the mom has not been pumping.>>

Sounds like an example of taking one peice of the puzzle and running with it,
and ignoring all of the rest. Didn't this mom, who has bf other children,
understand your more rational explanation?

<<Of course the baby loved the ABM that he was given and had a huge poop
right away. Now the mom is thinking of weaning because she doesn't want to
"starve her baby and he likes ABM better". >>

Has mom ever tasted that stuff?

Well, I agree with your theory, but even so, I am still the lone Lactnetter
who *does not* think it is normal for babies to *not* stool everyday (or
children or adults for that matter)! I'd better duck, though, sicne I've been
nailed for this statement in the past.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA