From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 23:17:32 -0400
Barbara Wilson-Clay wrote: . I wouldn't ever want anyone to
carelessly toss a mother a shield merely because they couldn't come up with
a better plan. This would be especially dangerous if they had no plans to
continue to be involved with the mother to monitor the outcome of the
intervention, revising the care plan on an as-needed basis to insure the
safety of the infant

Exactly.
I have been having ongoing dialogue at the BabyCenter.com's online shop.
They have a checklist called "Breastfeeding Essentials",
http://store.babycenter.com/checklists/breastfeeding_checklist.jhtml and on
that list recommend a pair of nipple shields for all nursing moms!  They
clearly have nipple shields and breast shells confused, because they
describe nipple shields as:

"The most difficult aspect of nursing is nipple pain, which is caused not
just by baby's sucking but also by the fact that your nipple is encased in
a bra. With this perforated plastic shield in place, air circulates around
your nipple, preventing chafing and speeding healing." Then they show a
picture of a Medela Nipple Shield. http://store.babycenter.com/?product/107036

The person in charge, Ann Spivack, has been willing to discuss this with me
very sanely and pleasantly, and she admits fully she is not a breastfeeding
expert, but a marketing person, but I have obviously been unable to impress
on her the difference between shields and shells, and the poor judgement
and risk to new moms by mistaking the difference, and that shields, when
used indiscriminantly, can cause serious problems including reduced milk
intake by the infant.   I have told her that many hospitals are requiring
an informed consent before dispensing Nipple Shields.  She is just not
getting the issue, that they should be showing, and selling, the shells
instead.  Anyway, I have been going through this with her for two weeks now
and I am getting frustrated.  Feel free to check out the site at the above
address, and if you'd like to mention to Ann the risks of suggesting that
"every new mom needs a pair of nipple shields", her email is
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Thanks,
NancyH
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN