Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:49:39 EDT
<< I believe that usually a milk supply for older nursing children(3 years
 and up) is never that great(unless the child's main source of nutrition
 is breast milk).  Most three year olds spend lots of time playing and
 breastfeeding is more about emotional comfort, security. >>

somehow i missed the original story that prompted this discussion, but i beg
to point out that, based on what we are seeing in our study, many women
produce plenty of milk when nursing older children. also, on a personal note,
my daughter is six and a half, and i haven't been able to express milk for
years, although she informs me there is still milk there. when my friend's
baby comes to visit, i have her permission to nurse him, and when he was
smaller, i would use my tincture the day he was planning to come over (the
one i give to mothers) and i could feel a noticeable increase in breast size
and fullness.

not that an example of one means much, but it is not good to promote
generalizations (milk supply for older children is never that great unless
they are only getting breastmilk) unless you have some solid data to back
them up. if this mother wants to boost her milk supply, why not? yes, pumping
takes time, yes, the baby is not likely to like the tube system (my daughter
thinks it is a gas, but she doesn't need me, she can stick the tube in a
glass and drink whatever with it), but there isn't any reason she shouldn't
try if it is important to her.after all, if she were adopting, we would be
telling her, oh, it's great you are still lactating, let's build up that
supply, right?

carol brussel IBCLC