From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:50:46 -0500
>Promotion is not the focus of the Code, but is another part of the larger
>picture that the Code fits into.  This is my interpretation, evolved over my
>years of working on Code issues.  I would be interested in other perspectives
>here -- ???

The "marketing" workshop segment of the National Breastfeeding Policy
Conference last Nov dealt with the marketing of formula and the marketing
of breastmilk.  We ultimately broke the breastmilk marketing into two
components:  "offense" and "defense".

We saw the Code as "defense" - protecting breastfeeding against commercial
incursions.  But there's another whole aspect, and that's "offense" - the
active selling, or promotion, of breastfeeding.  As in football or soccer,
neither approach is going to be wholly effective wtihout the other.  I
liked that breakdown;  made sense to me and clarified for me what each can
and can't accomplish.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY