From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 07:45:49 EST
Dear Everybody:
   To add to the thread about research...if one reads the research about
epidurals that comes from the anesthesia literature, there appears to be
little or no impact upon labor. If one reads the obstetrical literature,
epidurals appear to have an enormous impact on labor.
   Robert Stone Ph.D., in his book"The Secret Life of Your Cells" describes
how the intention of the researcher has an overiding impact upon the results
of the study.
   People forget that if birth and breastfeeding weren't successful
activities, none of us would be here! Warmly, Nikki Lee
(writing from the longest Fall I can remember. There are still flowers
blooming here, outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I prefer it to the usual
raw, cold rainy weather.)