From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:53:39 -0400
I'm finally getting around to this update.
The PBS show I was on went well. Would you believe the
first caller asked how breastfeeding effects her
baby's immunizations? The very first caller. No it wasnt my
wife. Did I have somethng to do with it? Well my fellow
Americans know what is meant by the 5th Ammendment.
I of course said breastfed babies have better immune
responces.
The first questions of the show come from the host and
each guest writes their own. Mine was about newer vaccines so
I discussed varivax :-) and rota virus vaccine and mentioned
the protection of breast milk against gastroenteritis.
Im on again this week on influenza. Now there is a virus I
hate. (Not really freindly with any of them). My first year in
pratice at one point we had 4 babies hospitalized on a
weekend. Three were R/O sepsis at less than 3 months old,
all ended up having influenza and one was a 3 week old with
a UTI. I got her out as fast as possible fearing nosocomial
flu.
Would you believe 2 of the babies with flu and the baby with
UTI were breastfed! Nightmare weekend. At least I could tell
the moms of the babies with flu they were doing more for
the babies than I could.
-Rob

Rob Cordes, DO, FAAP, FACOP
Wilkes Barre PA