Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 08:55:57 -0500
<<Immediate relief after frenotomy is rare>>

I think this statement is a reflection of the medical environment one is
working in.

I realize there is NO data on this, and I am in a position to collect
some...which I should.  But I would estimate that 80-90% of the tongue-tied
babies I clip have immediate improvement in maternal comfort, milk-removal
or both.

I think the variation in results stems from age at clipping (I probably tend
to get them earlier...1-3 weeks of age), AND the completeness of clipping.
When others in the commnity clip tongues, and I see the babies later on for
continued difficulty, I find that at times the MD clipped the tongue back
only to the salivary duct openings (about "half-way" to the real base of the
tongue) leaving a fair amount of restriction.  Sometimes the frenulum is
thicker and more vascular starting at that point, and I am also not
comfortable going any further, sometimes it is thin and I clip it further,
and sometimes with positioning or a nipple shield we can improve the
situation without further clipping.

Just my experience...

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
Lincoln,  NE