Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 18:39:29 -0500
I believe that finger feeding should be used primarily to help a baby
get onto the breast.  Thus the mother should be there, finger feeding
used to get the baby sucking correctly, and settled, and then tried on
the breast within a minute or so usually.  It can also be used to wake
a sleepy baby, as the mother can introduce her finger even when the
baby is sleeping.

Cup feeding should be used to feed the baby if the baby does not take
the breast after several attempts, or the mother is not present.  I do
not see an advantage to syringe feeding, but it is probably not worse,
in my opinion, than the cup.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC