From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 09:33:36 EDT
Hi Ann,
Thanks for your thoughts!
I concur with some of your ideas about "pushing".
I also find that most parents begin to "push" once the baby begins to
*refuse*. The babies that I was referring to were previously established
bottle and breast fdrs. who then began to refuse the bottle.
Anecdotally, I suffered through this with my second as well. We went on
vacation and he didn't have a bottle for a week (he was 4mths) and he never
would take one again despite having 1/day p/t that.
you write;
>>I do agree with LLLL that parents should try alternative feeding methods if
the baby refuses to accept a bottle.<<

I would agree with this as well and it was always my first suggestion when
these numerous calls came in. Most often, however, the parents had tried
*every* option  before calling us (sadly the most common HCP advice; refusing
to feed the baby fromthe breast until he "gives in" : (! ) including cup,
spoon, syringe feeding.
The LLL scenario that I was referring to in my post (sorry for not making
myself clear) involved a leader discouraging  a Mom returning to work from
using a bottle ever, *at all*, for fear of nipple confusion, and to use
another alternate fdng method from the start. It had nothing to do with
refusing a bottle but was a f/u to another poster's comments regarding LLL's
position on the use of bottles *in general*.

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts