From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:35:59 -0500
Hi everyone.  I have just returned from the conference at Rush Hospital in
Chicago on Sensory-motor integration ect.  It was a VERY good conference.
Although, I came away with more questions then I started with because there
was so much wonderful information given--this is a good thing!!

I have been hearing a lot about how sneezing and such can be a sign of
stress.  I have not heard of gagging or vomiting as signs (until it was
brought up by several different speakers at the conference)so it makes me
wonder about a few things. In the first day or two it seems that some
babies are very gaggy and spit up mucus.  I thought this was due to baby
needing to get rid of amniotic fluid and tell parents this is typical and
once they get it all up they will feel like feeding.  Well, I  can recall a
number of times when we were trying to get a disinterested baby to breast
and they would gag and sometimes spit up. Was that a stress sign that I was
missing-- because baby clearly did not want to breastfeed.

Now that I think about it don't all babies have some fluid in their tummies
after birth-C/S babies more that others? Does this fluid have to come up
through the mouth to make them feel better or can it just go the other way
and come out the other end?  If all babies have some fluid in their tummies
then are the gagging babies the ones that are stressed so we just notice it
more?

How do you tell when sneezing, hiccoughing, gagging and vomiting are stress
signs vs just a bodily function?  I am always telling parents that ask me
why their baby sneezes and hiccoughs so much that that is just normal baby
stuff.  What do you all think?  Thanks again.