Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:52:52 EDT

Wendy forwards info about a study:

The  study found content differences in milk samples taken from 30    women
six to eight times a day depending on the time of day the    sample was
taken. These differences include variations in three    nucleotides --
adenosine, guanosine and usine -- which excite or    relax the nervous system and
influence sleep.

~~
This seems like another amazing fact about breastfeeding that can get
turned into something to make it harder for mothers who are expressing their
milk and might just as well give artificial milks because they can't be strict
 enough about when the baby gets mom's. Like why express milk in the AM for
a  movie night out, when that milk might keep the baby up? Maybe they can
choose  that formula to make the baby sleep longer due to its
indigestibility/slow  transit... I hope this isn't the case. It should simply point to the
wondrous  specificity and flexibility of mother and baby's feeding/nurturing
 relationship when left alone to just breastfeed. Perhaps those  expressing
outside the home at work or school would actually keep track and give  the
milk pumped midmorning to the caregiver for tomorrow around the same time. I
 just don't want to see this backfiring and leading to more mothers
thinking it's  just not worth the effort with more restrictions to keep track of.
Does that  sound pessimistic? I hope not, but it does seem a realistic
possibility. Good to  know about the study so we can be prepared to deal with any
fallout. The bottom  line is AIM never changes in taste or content, no
matter how old the baby, no  matter what time of day. No company could ever have
the money to make and AIM  that behaved, as any live entity does, with
adaptability and coolness like  that...:)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA