From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:50:04 -0500
I've been lobbying to get our state statisticians to ASK THIS QUESTION at
every infant birth, every death of children under 2 years, all
hospitalizations for illness, and all maternity-care services for women -
for over TEN years, without success. Actually, it should be asked at even
more points of contact!  Recently I had minor surgery, a mammogram, and a
work-up in a sleep lab for apnea. None of these services asked how I was
fed. I made a big stink about their NOT ASKING on my evaluation forms, and
in the case of the mammogram, lodged a written complaint with a copy to the
LC's at that hospital. "If you don't ask, you'll never find out."

I'm currently in a big fight with our County health officials over the
pending release of an anti-bedsharing brochure. I'm in touch with James
McKenna, of course. I'm trying to get a copy of the questionnaire that the
police and coroner fill out when an infant dies, to see if they even ask
about feeding, among other things. If anyone has successfully beaten down
the "all bedsharing is lethal" crowd, please comment on Lactnet AND send a
copy to me off-list. I know the arguments - I am looking for successful
strategies for changing the policies and practices of investigators and
bureaucrats.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]