Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 21:47:43 EDT
Chris wrote:
<< The other IBCLC was accusing me of
 not practicing "the standard of care" because I DIDN'T suggest a sheild!  At
 this point, I'm just trying to gather a variety of ways that LNers approach
 this particular problem.  The mother and baby are doing fine with the
 suggestions I made.  This is very much an academic discussion.  BTW, I'd
 love to see the article that inspired hate mail (I promise not to add to the
 mail). >>
Egads, Chris, where is there any standard of care that would suggest that a
nipple shield is the only way to help a mom and baby nurse through teething?!
Sheesh...
As for the hate mail, we all saw those nipple shield pieces that Barbara
wrote in JHL Im sure - it just seemed to us they were thoughtfully-written
articles, and not anything to inspire hate mail....sheesh again...and I like
how Jeanette summed things up as :
"Having been in a job where I saw moms other LCs had seen previously, we
agreed to follow whatever course the first LC chose UNLESS we saw it was
obviously not working - then we would NOT criticize the previous LC
(thereby making the mom feel she's stuck between two professionals who
can't make up their minds, so how can she know who is right), but to say :
well, why don't we try this now... it seems this other course has done as
much as it can, and now we need to try this step.  "
Bravo!
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY