From:
Denise Hibben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:50:14 -0700
Doing a bit of research in the book Botanical Medicines for Women's Health by Aviva Romm M.D., and this is what I found out about dandelion root and lactation. As with any herbal medicine and lactation- take the lowest effective dose. There is a chance of toxicity if taken at high doses, but there is nothing said about it being dangerous during pregnancy or lactation when it is used in amounts comparable  to food use. It is a diuretic, so make sure mama is drinking lots of fluids and keeps her electrolytes balanced. It is high in Iron, and vitamin K. as far as drug interactions it is listed in this book as known to be safe and/or limited data on interactions. Not to be taken for those with gallbladder obstruction and obstructive ileus.
On a personal note, and this is purely anecdotal, I have used dandelion root during breastfeeding to up iron levels after a placental abruption and emergency c-section, and even the leaves in very small amounts as food, and saw no ill effects to baby, myself, or my breastmilk.
Hope this helps!
Love and Light,

Denise Hibben
AAMI Student Midwife #2113