From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:49:59 +1000
We have just had a situation where the Opposition Health spokesperson (who
is usually on the ball, but I don't think has had any children) called in
the press to announce that our city's largest maternity hospital (biggest in
Australia) was endangering the lives of mothers and babies because the
nursery had been closed due to budget cuts and that women recovering from
"traumatic" births were "forced" to keep their newborn children at their
sides.  She stated that newborn babies were unable to be monitored by
doctors and nurses in one single ward and this could endanger their lives if
complications developed and were missed.
The next day, a hospital spokesperson enlightened the politician that the
nursery had been closed for 12 months, not for budgetary reasons, but for
clinical reasons. They were simply rooming-in. "Allowing babies to room with
mothers allowed staff to give both baby and mother more support and
education" she said.

YIPPEE!!

Lesley McBurney, Brisbane, Australia