From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:43:04 +1100
Jean,
There is some new research that has examined prolactin secretion in obese
women. Below is a quote from a paper of mine and the citation that concerns
prolactin (it is just an abstract but the full paper may have been published
by now).
Karleen Gribble
Australia

"In addition, prolactin levels are influenced by body condition, with
thinner women having more prolactin secreted in response to suckling (Lunn
et al 1984; Kjolhede 2003) as well as higher basal prolactin levels, than
fatter women (Kopelman 2000). As women in developing countries are likely to
be less well nourished than those in the west this may be significant
(Bianchini, Kaaks & Vainio 2002). Obesity, which is common in the west, is
also associated with increased oestrogen secretion (Bianchini, Kaaks &
Vainio 2002) and since oestrogen is a lactation suppressant this may affect
milk production (Koetsawang 1987)."

Kjolhede C 2003, Prepregnant overweight and obesity diminish the prolactin
response to suckling in the first week postpartum. Pediatr Res 53: 180A