From:
bob marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:34:48 -0700
Hello all..
I received a call concerning PKU. The baby is 3 weeks old and has had a positive PKU test. As of right now the baby is receiving the traditional PKU formula(6 oz a day) and breastmilk.
The family is looking for a "better whole food source" than the formula that is based of corn syrup and the amino acids the baby needs.
This is my first call concerning PKU. I understand the parents frustration of feeding their baby "sugars" for a food source. I have nothing to offer these parents and I am in need of any ideas you may have.
Please let me make it clear, the baby is getting the amount of formula the Dr s have specified.She will continue to get it for as long as needed or until a viable safe option is given.This is the second child for this couple that is PKU positive.
I tried looking in the archives and could not find what I was looking for.Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. You can reply on the list or privately.Thank you again,
Sonja
mama to 4 great kids
La Leche League Leader
AAPL Medical for Oregon