From:
"Miller, Rachel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:26:48 -0600
Jennifer,
You write "I think we need to ask ourselves what role we as LC's have
in educating mothers about the quality of their milk. I routinely tell mothers
who are having supply problems to increase their EFA's and the results are
remarkable, not only in supply, but in the relief of many other symptoms in mom
and babe."

I agree as an LC I have this as one of my roles, but feel inadequately prepared.
Thank-you for the detail in your post. I am searching the references you listed.
In the mean time, I'm wondering if you and others could post what EFA foods you
council moms to start with putting in their diets when they haven't had much of
these in their diets before. Are there specific foods you find easier for moms
to include daily as 'new foods to them'. Or foods that have the most value in
EFA's? (As we used to say where I grew up, 'the most bang for their buck'.) What
other suggestions do you specifically give them to increase their EFA's?

I'll admit I'm looking for the easy answer to start with to include this
information into the information I share with moms. (I don't want to have to
fully wait till I finish my acquiring and reading of the references you shared.)
Nutrition has never been my strong suit, but this discussion has stimulated my
interest to further my knowledge. I think this avenue is the best place to start
with so varied backgrounds among us.

I am so thank-full for Lacnet and the list mothers!
Thank-you all.

Rachel Miller RN, IBCLC
South Carolina, USA