From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:04:27 EDT
On Thursday, amidst our great National sorrow, my hospital like many
institutions across the country had a bomb threat. Over the years that I have
worked there, I have experienced many such threats but have never seen an
evacuation before. This time, in light of recent events, selected areas of
the hospital were evacuated.  In our Intermediate Intensive Care Nursery,
staff and families switched IV pumps to battery, activated oxygen tanks and
calmly removed all 20 babies to a parking lot across the street. We did not
have time to bring ABM and expressed breast milk with us.  The mothers did
bring their breasts, however.  My wonderful colleagues, Kathi Saenz and
Melanie Ashworth, fellow lactnetters, tucked tiny babies into kangaroo care
to keep them warm on an uncharacteristically chilly Northern CA afternoon and
gave a crash course in hand expression. We then fed these babies, too small
to go to breast, their mother's milk.  It was a wonderful moment in a chaotic
week.  Lowest tech prevailed, mothers were empowered and the staff maintained
the utmost calm to reassure the families that their babies were being safely
cared for. A warm chest and mother's milk sustained some of our patients.

I believe the work we do is fine. It has helped me during this difficult
week. My heart and deepest regard go out to my Lactnet colleagues across the
country. I hope you are all safe with your loved ones.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC
Mountain View, CA