From:
Beth Vest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 1995 19:25:49 -0400
Did any one else get several messages from AOL encoded : Base 64. Several of
my messages had this unreadable encoding that even my computer brains
(Husband and 2 sons) can't decode. I assume this was a mistake. While I'm
online I would like to say how nice it is to hear from LC's that are also
MD's. I didn't know these wonderful people
existed in medicine. I have been called a NATSI by one of our area MD's
because I challenged his orders to PC a BF infant. This baby had no medical
reason for ABM to be introduced. The mom did not want supplementation and
said after DC she was changing Peds. She refused ABM and we just documented
this. His big issue with using ABM for all BF infants until milk is in, was
jaundice. Every time we talk he tells me the same story about a BF only baby
with a 36 Bilirubin. When I asked him if the infant was well hydrated he said
yes and electrolytes were normal. The jaundice responded well but the babys
mom was afraid to begin BF again. He of course "encouraged" her. I have the
research summary from ILCA and plan to get everything on jaundice to him
soon. Anyone have any other Info I can use on this subject? We all need to
keep on being Zealots,however it is we do it ( some of us are louder and
braver then others ). We have a lot at stake in our country and only few of
us are fighting this important fight.Stepping down off the soapbox.

Beth Ann Vest RN