From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:15:44 -0500
I also offer the mom the option of feeding one side and pumping the other.
I encourage them to start between 3-8 wks depending on when they are
returning to work.  The other option I tell them about, and I think more of
them do this, is to pump about 1 hour after a feeding.  Hartmann's research
showed that the majority (can't remember percentage) of milk that is removed
during a feeding is replaced in about one hour.  In this way, baby is still
perhaps an hour away from the next feeding.  If less, they will just feed
more to make up the difference.  I also encourage them to do this in the
morning as that is when milk supply/reserves are the greatest of the day.  I
think if mom nursed one side/pumped one side for every single feeding, it
might impact her supply in some way.  Might.  However, if they only do this
once or even twice a day, I think any impact would be negligible.

Marsha

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.