From:
Hollands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:13:18 -0500
Pat said:
>>Have any others in the US noticed a difference in their work experience
>since the TV show?  Particularly those of you in private practice?>>

Pat, I cannot answer for someone in private practice since I work in a hospital BUT......I have noticed things.  Last night I was in Sams (a big wholesale club), when one of my daughter's former preschool teachers approached me.  She said that she had seen me on the news talking about breastfeeding after the Chicago Hope episode.  She also told me that she was expecting her first baby in April.  I said something to the effect that of course she would be breastfeeding so her child would be as smart as my Anna <G>.  She told me straight out that she would not even consider it, since it was too dangerous!!  She said that it was just not worth the risk!!  This is a college educated woman.  I gently explained to her that Chicago Hope was a fictional drama, and the "real" story was what came on the news after the program (we had pretty good coverage).  She promised that she would "think" about it ...sigh....

I also find myself seeing more moms post-discharge with questions about adequate stooling/voiding patterns.  And you are most definitely right about the grandparents--many of these outpatients visits include mom, baby, and grandma.

One more thing, my hospital has decided to put Baby Friendly on the "back burner" for the present time :(  We have been w/o discharge packs for over 6 mos........bet the abm reps will soon be sniffing at our door.

mailto:[log in to unmask]

                                   Pam Holland, BS, IBCLC
                                        Savannah, GA
             "Be careful not to stress so much to get your kids what you didn't have,
                           that you forget to give them what you did"